Ground nutmeg is a warm and fragrant spice that has been used in cooking for centuries. It comes from the seeds of the nutmeg tree, which is native to Indonesia. Nutmeg has a sweet, nutty flavor with a slightly bitter aftertaste.
Aside from being a popular ingredient in sweet and savory dishes, nutmeg has a long history of medicinal use. It was traditionally used to treat digestive problems, anxiety, and insomnia. Nutmeg oil is also used in aromatherapy and massage therapy.
Ground nutmeg is a versatile spice that can be used in a variety of dishes, both sweet and savory. It pairs well with other warm spices like cinnamon and clove, as well as with fruits like apples and pears. Some popular uses for nutmeg include:
- Sprinkling on top of hot chocolate or coffee
- Mixing into pancake or waffle batter
- Adding to cream sauces for pasta or vegetables
- Seasoning meat dishes like beef stews or lamb
- Incorporating into spice rubs for roasted vegetables or meats
It is gluten-free and processed in a facility where allergens are present.